Running Social Adventures/a talkin’ group
Running Social Adventure is pretty easy. Here are the 3 main steps, which you can also hand over to someone doing the
- At the beginning introduce the concept of talkin’ according to the Framer document
- Lead through the evening
- In the end encourage the participants to bring friends along the next time.
After the fun comes pleasure and a few to-do’s:
After the Social Adventure you have to do some follow-up and preparation for the upcoming one.
- Approach the next Experimenters to get their contact details & give them the Experimenter handout
- Give feedback to the Experimenters Feedback
- Fix the room for the next event
- Fill out the report form at http://www.talkin.org/report/. This is critical for the board to have numbers to apply for funding, or promote the club. If you want to check if your event is already reported have a look at the list of entries: http://www.talkin.org/report/entries
Within the next 1-2 weeks:
- Upload photos & advertise the next Social Adventure. The photo archive can be found at http://go.ditrk.com/talkinmedia, contact Matteo for an upload link
- Check that you receive a short description of the next Social adventure
- Organize a trainer feedback. Experimenteurs are being offered feedback by one of our trainers. If the person does a Social Adventure the first time, we make that mandatory. It happened a couple of times that people were not prepared for the challenge and we got surprised as well. What can happen is that evenings are plain boring, they use it as an advertising plattform, the experimenteurs might be too afraid and bounce. For people that you know are up for the challenge (usually people who already did one well), the trainer feedback is voluntarily.
- Check that you get the concept in time
- Advertise the event
The next social Adventure
- Open the event and enjoy the evening 🙂
- Close the event by finding the new topic and Experimenters
- Get contact details from the Experimenters
- Give feedback to the Experimenters (if you offered it)
- Fix the room, upload photos & advertise the next Social Adventure
Feedback as part of Social Adventure
talkin’ as Social Adventure shall bring advantages for:
- all participants
- the experimenters
- the group itself (talkin’ = great experience = place to be)
Experimenters contribute to the group and themselves. To increase the learning effect for them usually a Metatrainer gives them feedback to their concept and their performance / handling the group if they want. This strengthens the bond to talkin’. This is our flow of energy.
The feedback is only offered if the group has the resources for that. Find more under: Metatrainer.
Some thing(s) to be aware of..
- One thing we stumbled upon in the past was the relationship to the location. Always make sure to be aware of the specific goals of each part. When we’re being hosted for free in a bar or restaurant their goal is to make money by selling us drinks. Support that and make the people aware. If we’re paying for the location the situation is different, it’s important still to know the expectations.
- Be aware that in a location that depends on revenue they don’t like it when the rooms are half empty. That might work in the summer, but in indoor-season it’s more tricky. Event marketing on the other hand is dependend on the number of channels we reach, the time we’re visible there, the people we involve, and way more. Make sure if the group is smaller to put the event online really early, involve everyone who’s interested in the organization team, always make non-team-members experimenteurs so they bring new people, post it on a lot of channels, ….
- Talk to the pepole that interact with the group: Be it bar owners, waiters, people in a shared location. Introduce yourself, make them aware of the evening, also tell them what’s going to happen. That builds trust in case something goes wrong, be it a forgotten bill, someone complaining about us being too loud, something being accidentally destroyed, ….